Tuesday, 26 January 2010


Finn had a show on Sunday, at Moor Farm near Haverfordwest. We haven't got any photos because I left the camera behind, but he enjoyed himself so much I'm glad there's no evidence to prove it!

Beryl picked us up at 7 o'clock in the morning and we arrived in plenty of time to have a stretch before we walked the coarse. Finn was SO excited, there was lots of pee-mail to catch up on round the exercise area and he really didn't want to wait in the car while I walked the coarse. It was a very nice coarse and we were due to run 8th. The weavy poles were obstacle no 3 and we were eliminated before we got there! He went through the 12 poles like greased lightening and then managed to get eliminated another 6 times before the end of the coarse! Everyone loved him!

After this I took him back to the exercise area and we had a lovely walk around the fields, there was a stream, lots of mud and a pond which I didn't see until I heard a splash! (Have I mentioned in previous posts that Finn is part Warthog?). There was a horsey cross country coarse and Finn tried some of the horse jumps out to see if they were safe for the horses. and some little paths leading through woody places.

By the time we got back to the car they were setting the 2nd coarse, circular jumping. Again it was a lovely, flowing coarse and I came up with Plan B- to run round as fast as I could, ignoring my dog as much as he ignored me in the last one! It worked in as much as he went round the proper coarse, but we got the record for the number of faults (50) acquired without being eliminated! We left 2 out of 20 poles up! The reason it was only 50 faults was because on the second circuit there wasn't anything left to knock over!

Then it was lunch time. We had a picnic of carrot and coriander soup, pigeon pie with potato salad and vegetable salad followed by fruit cake. Finn had dry dog food mixed with meat.

After lunch we had our last run, this was an agility round with the dogwalk, A-frame and seesaw in it. I think he left most of the poles up this time, but he was so wound up I had to get him to sit twice in the middle of his run to get his head together, after doing 12 weavy poles perfectly in the first class he decided 6 wasn't worth bothering with but I was informed afterwards that he got 2 out of 3 contacts, only missing the 1 on the dog walk.

Although Tansy didn't manage a clear round for Beryl she was working well and listening to what she was supposed to do. In Finn's defence nearly all the dogs were a bit mad because they hadn't been able to do much training because of the weather. At least Finn enjoyed himself and entertained everyone and he was very tired Sunday night!

Beryl, Finn and Tansy.

1 comment:

JD and Max said...

Hi Finn - sounds like you had a great day out. And having fun is what it's all about isn't it? You're right about the weather - what's a pup to do?! Schnauzer snuggles - JD and Max.